Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Dirah Souq

Today I took the kids to the Dirah Souq, a market where scarves, carpets, jewelry, and trinkets are sold. Most of the goods are imported from India, Pakistan, Afganistan, Central Asia, etc. However, local  artifcats can be found. In fact, I came home with a couple of beautifully embroidered clothes, stitched together locally (or so the vender told me). It was fun to walk around and see what was on display! I'm sorry I haven't got brave enough to pull out my camera in places like this, but here's some of my treasures.

The vendors spoke very good English and were polite. Not at all pushy. One of the salesmen even brought me a cup of coffee after I made my purchase. He told me repeatedly that he liked America and that he was giving me a good discount:) 
I got several questions about Benjamin - he certainly is a curiousity here. When I tell people that he is my son, they usually look confused and I believe assume that I have had several husbands. I always try to immediately correct them, saying that Benjamin's parents couldn't take care of him, so we took him into our family. Adoption does not happen in Saudi Arabia, but I believe it is considered a virtue to care for orphans. 
The Dirah Souq has two interesting attractions. One is a small castle, which apparently is sometimes open. I have yet to figure out when things are open or closed around here! The other attraction is "Chop-Chop Square." Though my first thought was that I was entering a livestock butching zone, I was informed by a friend that this is where crimial executions used to take place - beheadings! Wow! Hard to imagine! Sometimes it feels almost normal here...and then Chop-Chop Square!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, is right. LOL Those are some beautiful things you have gotten at the market, Micah. We know God is using you there - just look at the testimony you are in having Benjamin as your son!

    ReplyDelete