Monday, January 13, 2014

Why Saudi?

A lot of friends and family have asked why we are going to Saudi Arabia.  Great question.  The short answer is we think God is calling us to go there.  After several years of reflection on how we can serve God with our gifts and desires, we think this makes sense.  A few broader points:
  • We enjoy seeing how God's kingdom manifests itself in new settings.  I don't have a real concrete feel for how God is on the move in Saudi Arabia, but we're excited to see what this looks like.  Seeing God's power in new settings helps remind me that He's God and not me.
  • I get to use my talents in a new work setting.  I delight in being a public servant and the Bible has given me a rich example in Daniel -- both in his excellence in performing his work  functions and his moral integrity.
  • We get an opportunity to serve a new community in a new setting.  We've found that living abroad often provides an exciting sense of community where some of the normal walls we erect around our personal lives are a bit less rigid.
  • We love new adventures and this often takes the form of seeing and learning about a new place.
  • We get to save money - living in Washington DC is a big drag on our bank account!
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment